Gone are they days where an adopted child did not know until they were older, an adult, or not ever finding out. Adoption is also getting more common, and I think most people know someone who is or has adopted. It will be hard to talk about how my daughter was most likely abandoned. It is part of her life story.
The thing that we need to figure out is how much of her story to share and with whom. It will be pretty obvious to everyone that she is adopted. I am sure we will get weird comments, some born out of curiosity, some wanting to share opinions, and some hostile comments (is she your real daughter/sister/cousin is one adoptive families get a lot!). We tend to be private people anyway, so I have a feeling that we will let her share what she wants to share. It is her story, after all. We will probably take this same route regarding her special need if it is not obvious.
The parent training has some great ideas on talking, and some great kids books that discuss it. The idea I really like is a lifebook. A lifebook is simply about the kiddo's life- beginning at birth. It can be a scrapbook, and it has pages for things like birth parents, early photos if you have them. People add pages with info about the Chinese province they are from, the orphanage, etc. I definitely want to do this- I think it is a beautiful way to celebrate her journey before us and until she meets us! I think having something like this will help discussions and understanding of who she is. We have to get matched with her before I start it though!!!
Paperwork update: we have everything in hand except Scott's physical and labs which he is getting done this week. Then it will all get notarized, certified by the sec of state, and authenticated!!! Scott's meeting with our social worker is next week, then she will do a home visit. I hope she types the homestudy fast!! Our passports should arrive in the mail soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment