It was a hard decision. We have always wanted to homeschool, but did not think we could if I was working. After some developments with the school system here in NY we feel we really need to start now.
So what else is going on? I will be volunteering with No Hands But Ours as the lead mentor mom for the infectious special need section. I am working on getting a foster/orphan care ministry started at church. Did I mention that its a church plant that Scott and I are involved with? We will be busy- but it is a good busy!
The kids are great. They are enjoying summer. Our fill in nanny is wonderful. The kids miss Tracey. We will need to find one for after summer, as our fill in goes to college out of town.
Alex's first birthday with us is next week. Shhh- don't tell him but I think we are getting him a bike and may take him to a water park. He loves to yo-yo (swim). Scott and I took the day off work since it is a Wednesday.
I will try to do better about blogging!!
2 comments:
You are not the first family that we have heard of who has decided to start homescholling next year due to their experience this last year with changes from Common Core. :/ We are actually going to be utilizing an integrated preschool setting this fall for my son, which isfunded by the school district but provided by a private company that I worked for prior to having kids... but our goal by kindergarten is still to homeschool. I looked over the NY website for CC standards at the preschool level, and couldn't t find anything particularly objectionable... but if I weren't already familiar with the program and the teachers and therapists that run it, we probably wouldn't be doing it. :/
Have you looked into curriculum at all? I've heard a lot of good things about Sonlight for families with multiple kiddos - they can base the history and read-aloud portions all around the same topic through a "Core," and then personalize the "readers," math, and science to different children's levels from there. Helps to consolidate things, and promote family discussion because you are all studying a similar topic at age-appropriate levels. I don't know if that sounds like a fit to you or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning. :)
I have to second the Sonlight recommendation! I have used this curriculum for 4 years and absolutely love it. We are still thinking about school for Michael but at this point we plan on homeschool for him too. I will have my 6th and 8th grader home this year. Best wishes to you.
Post a Comment